Sunday, February 10, 2013

barley turkey chili

I mentioned that Eric is working in Ohio during the week. This basically means I don't really cook much during the week because I don't particularly like cooking for one. So today I decided to make something good seeing as he eats out during the week when he is on the job.

We decided to test out our new crock pot that we had gotten for Christmas from my parents and make some chili. I've made chili before but not turkey chili. I'm more of a red meat kind of girl, but in a effort to be healthier, we decided on turkey chili. We looked up a few different recipes to see what people usually included in their turkey chili and decided to take a little bit from each of the recipes that we looked at.



Here's what we went with... Pretty sure I remembered it all.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
2 pablano peppers
1 green pepper
1/2 white onion
2 garlic cloves
4 tbs chili powder
cilantro
1 large can (28oz) tomato sauce
1 large can (28oz) diced tomatos
2 tbs cumin
salt and pepper
stock (beef, but you could use vegetable or chicken)
2 cups rice
1 cup barley
1 can chili beans

Basically we combined everything into the crock pot and let it cook on low for 6 hours. We did saute up the peppers and onion first and also cooked the ground turkey so that it was chunked together.

It turned out good and we topped it with some sweet onion veggie straws to add some crunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment