Saturday, February 9, 2013

does tuna fish count as seafood?

If you know me well, you know that I DO NOT like seafood of any sort; but I will eat tuna fish (from a can). I know, very strange, but I feel like it doesn't count because I slather it in mayo so that there isn't an ounce of fishy taste or smell to it.

When I was little, I didn't have the aversion to seafood that I do now. I'm not really sure what changed, but all I can tell you is even the smell of some seafood makes me want to vomit. I'm not allergic, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be telling you about the delicious tuna pasta salad that I made the other night for dinner.

Eric has been working nights, in Ohio, and isn't home during the week. Needless to say, he has been eating out A LOT. So, the first thing he said to me when I asked him what he wanted to do for dinner was, "Anything as long as we don't go out to eat." Normally, I would sit at work and research via Pinterest to find a delectable recipe for dinner, but with my new found responsibilities at work I just didn't have the time. I was tired and didn't really feel like cooking, so I racked my brain for something easy to make. 

I knew that I didn't want to stop at the grocery store so I tried to think of what we had at home; and it's very slim pickins' around here... I knew I had some tuna in a can , so I figured "hey, let's use some of that." On Eric's way home from Ohio he stopped to get a few things I knew we would need.

Tuna Pasta Salad


Ingredients:
2 cans tuna fish
onion
carrots
celery
salt & pepper to taste
shell noodles
mayo

Process:
1. Boil noodles and let cool
2. Chop up onions, carrots, and celery
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl
4. Serve chilled

My mom used to make this all the time, in the summer, when we were kids. She didn't usually put carrots in it (and I don't remember if she put celery or onion in it, I'm sure she didn't put onion because my little brother and I didn't really like onion and were picky eaters). It's super quick and easy.

So, my question, "does tuna fish count as seafood?" wasn't really answered; but I like to think it doesn't when you slather it in mayo. Plus, it comes in a can labeled "chicken of the sea." Wasn't Jessica Simpson pretty famous for making some dumb statement about tuna fish once?

No comments:

Post a Comment