Monday, March 24, 2014

the least expensive backsplash you will ever install

This weekend the backsplash went in. I'm beyond excited to see everything come together. I decided to repurpose pallet wood for a number of reasons. The first reason being it was cheap; you can get pallets for free! The second being that pallet wood isn't perfect, and since my concrete counter tops are imperfect they go together perfectly.

Two weekends ago Eric and I prepped the pallet wood by cleaning it and putting a coat of Polycrylic Protective Finish on the wood. This protects it from whatever could get splashed on it, since it is going in the kitchen. You can get a quart of Minwax Polycrylic for about $16. We only put one coat on the surface that would be facing out.

Cleaned, drying pallet wood
Laid our and ready for Polycrylic
Coat of Polycrylic drying
At home and ready for installation

This weekend (as in yesterday), we put up the puzzle that is wood wall (or backsplash) installation. It went relatively smoothly. We did end up having to take some pieces to get ripped down to size right under the cabinet because we ended up with a 1 - 2 inch section to be filled. I took a selection of wood over to my dad's and had him cut them down to size. This allowed us to fill in the little strip under the cabinets and finish the backsplash.

Putting up the back wall
 
 Side walls up. Just need the ripped strips for the back wall
 
 Finished product
 Panorama view of the entire kitchen
 Panorama view with stuff back on the countertops

We do need to caulk along the counter and backsplash, so we will do that when we caulk the sink into place. As for additional wood projects in the kitchen; I set aside what I needed to make my open shelves by the stove and a few pieces to make a EAT artwork.

It's really exciting to see everything come together. I can't wait to paint the cabinets now because I know the kitchen will look WAY better once the beige cabinets are a different color.

I hope you are all enjoying seeing my kitchen progress as much as I am. I know it's been a long process but I am so happy that it is coming along and can't wait to show off the finished product when everything is checked off my list. Not much more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment