Monday, March 31, 2014

lace window decals

This weekend I was super busy working on little house things so I may have a few posts this week. One of the things I worked on was my front door windows. I've been wanting more privacy and a sunlight filter for the front door. The sun hits the front door just right in the late afternoon that it is blinding. This blog post will be a little bit of a nailed it and failed it.
 
The first thing I tried for the front door was a major fail. I had purchased the decals you can use on windows for $20 and attempted to apply those to the 9 small windows that are my front door window. This did not work as planned. If I wasn't such a perfectionist, I'm sure I would have been okay with the window decals. The problem with the window decals is, if you don't cut them perfectly, you can see your mistakes (very clearly). With it being such a small area, it was difficult to get them cut perfectly and the decals also didn't stick very well. For all these reasons, I decided to scratch the idea of the window decals and search out other options.
 
I debated between using an opaque spray paint, or a spray paint to make and etched glass look, but then I stumbled upon an excellent idea on Pinterest. Enter: Annabel Vita. Annabel used lace and cornstarch to create a beautiful and non-permanent window privacy solution.
 
Here's how you do it:


First, pick out your lace. I found tons that I loved at JoAnne's. I ended up getting a deal; my lace was only $10 for a yard. I tried to find one that wasn't super elastic because I didn't want it to be difficult to install but I did want it to have a little movement to it. Once you have found your lace you're ready to start your project.
 
Cut out a template for your window. I used a piece of cardboard and cut it to size using a razor. Now that you have a template, you can cut out your lace. My lace was a little difficult to cut, but I found out that if you doubled it up it was easier to cut. Basically, the more layers you cut through the easier time you will have. Since I have 9 small windows I cut out 9 rectangles. Then you need to thoroughly clean the windows so that you have a clean surface to work with. Next, mix 2 Tbsp corn starch and 2 Tbsp cold water together. Mix together until chunks are gone. Boil 1.5 cups of water and add the boiling water to the mixture. This should turn it into a jelly like substance.
 
You're now ready to start application. Coat the glass surface with your jelly substance using a paint brush and then place your lace on the glass. Using your paint brush, brush an additional coat of your jelly mixture over the lace to smooth it out and secure it to the window.
 
You're done. Just let it dry and then you have beautiful lace covered windows, and some privacy!
 
Here are a couple photos:
 
Daylight View
 Nighttime View
 
Unfortunately I do not have any before pictures, but it's not that hard to imagine perfectly clear class with no privacy; so you get the picture :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment