Tuesday, November 26, 2013

it's beginning to look a lot like a kitchen remodel

So I started a list back in October of all the projects I want to get done around the house. The list is long, like really long; and keeps managing to get longer. It's a detailed list, so it makes me feel better when I get to cross stuff off it.
 
I've decided to share the kitchen portion because last weekend we started the kitchen remodel.
 
Kitchen:
  1. Move refrigerator $0
  2. Move cabinets around $0
  3. Remove odd cabinet and replace with shelving
  4. Remove wallpaper  $0 completed by removing soffit
  5. Fix/replace side window $0
  6. Concrete counter tops
  7. Replace back-splash with pallet back-splash
  8. Replace kitchen sink with black kitchen sink from parents $0
  9. Buy new faucet
  10. Build pantry for far corner
  11. Paint laminate cabinet doors (unsure on color)
  12. Paint trim (unsure on color) and other areas that need touchups
  13. Paint refrigerator black chalkboard and sides of stove possibly $10
  14. Replace flooring in kitchen(not happening for awhile)
  15. Spray paint baking sheets and hang inside cabinets
  16. EAT penny wall art (potentially)
  17. Add outlet on other side of window $5
  18. Drywall ceiling
  19. Put in attic access

So that is what the list looks like, at the moment. It could change. Trust me, I wasn't planning on drywalling the ceiling or completely removing the soffits.
 
Here's an explanation of everything that I emailed to Eric's SIL (sister-in-law) of how the weekend "festivities" went (please excuse the mess):
 
I thought it would be best to explain everything we did this weekend with pictures so that is why I am emailing you.
 
Before: (kind of, the fridge is half pulled away from the wall)
 
Inline image 1
 
The plan was to move the fridge but my dad decided we would move around the cabinets how I wanted them because it would be relatively "easy"... As you can see, I have those beautiful soffits that I removed the wallpaper from. Turns out, my dad put those up after putting up the cabinets... Therefore, as we were pulling on the cabinets the soffit was pulling away from the ceiling. The only way to move the cabinets was to rip down the soffit (which I was completely fine with because I wasn't a huge fan), but now we have to redo the entire ceiling because the ceiling tile that I have doesn't go all the way to the wall in certain spots where the old cabinets were. Apparently those went up into the ceiling and the tiles were done around them... AWESOME.
 
BUT, we did get the cabinets moved around... So I am pretty pleased with that.
 
You can see the holes in the ceiling here.
 
Inline image 2
Inline image 3
 
Here's what it looks like all moved around.
 
Inline image 4
 
Inline image 5
 
Yesterday we replaced the sink and faucet, since those were innocent bystanders that didn't survive the cabinet moving... So I could have used that faucet for Christmas like you said ;) I'm just going to use the one my parents had on the sink for now... It's not a bad one, just not exactly what I want in the end. I'll wait to put the new faucet in last though, don't want a good one getting broken.
 
We're going to build a panty in the corner where the trash can is currently in the photos. Plus I have a gazillion other plans, but it's coming along! It honestly feels so much bigger now that the counter top isn't broken up around the fridge. I'm definitely glad we moved it.
 
So that's where I am at. Needless to say, it's going to be more work than originally planned because of the ceiling. We're going to end up putting the attic access in the kitchen because it's where the most room is and we closed it up when we remodeled the bedroom/bathroom. I'm excited to get all the drywall done though, because then I can paint and it means I am one step closer to completing the kitchen project. 
 
Drywall is going to happen Saturday. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment