Sunday, March 17, 2013

happy st. patty's day

Apparently I am old and boring because I spent my St. Patrick's Day at home; running errands, doing laundry, cuddling on the couch, playing candy crush on my phone, and cooking/baking. Judge me if you want to but it was a lot more enjoyable than going out and dealing with a bunch of drunks. Plus, I got to see all those drunks posting nonsense on Facebook, so it's like I was there!

As posted in the previous post, I made strawberry muffins today which will be Eric and my breakfasts for the next few days. 

This morning we went to Costco (early, before all the crazies got there) and got some much needed necessities along with some not so necessary items (like a tent). The tent wasn't something we didn't need, just something we didn't need right this moment, seeing as the ground is covered in snow here, but we plan on going camping this summer with the dogs and need a tent big enough for the 4 of us... so we bought it. It was a sweet deal, don't judge. At Costco we also got corned beef for dinner. It is St. Patrick's Day, it's the least I could do since I wasn't about to go out and drink gross green beer.

I found a simple recipe on Pinterest for corned beef and cabbage in the crock-pot but ended up not even really using it. The only part that I used was the beer part. The beer part you ask? Just wait... Below are the details.

Crock-pot corned beef and cabbage

Ingredients:
corned beef
cabbage
carrots
2 bottles of beer
potatoes

Step 1: Put the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the crock-pot, fill with water until the potatoes and carrots are covered with water.
Step 2: Place corned beef on top of carrots and potatoes, fill with beer of choice until the corned beef is covered with beer. 
Step 3: Cook on high for 5 hours and then add the cabbage into the crock-pot for the remaining hour of cooking.
Step 4: Enjoy your delicious St. Patrick's Day feast.



We ended up mashing up the potatoes just because that is what we prefer. Overall the recipe turned out great. It had a little more beer taste in the carrots and potatoes than I would have liked but it could be due to the fact that Eric doesn't drink cheap light beer so it was just a little overpowering. Next time I would probably do 1 bottle of beer, or none. If you don't like beer I would recommend just using water because you will taste it, unless you drink Miller Lite or something like that, you probably wouldn't taste beer then. I may or may not have become a beer snob since Eric and I started dating, but it could also just be I never had any beer that I liked before I met Eric... Who knows. 

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their St. Patrick's Day, however you chose to spend it, and if you need a yummy recipe for next St. Patrick's Day, try the one above.

No comments:

Post a Comment