Sunday, April 21, 2013

a place to put your feet up

Melissa, where have you been you ask? I wish I had a reasonable excuse to give you but I don't. I've just been lazy. We've made a ton of super yummy recipes and since I didn't take any picture, I didn't post about them. I might still post about them at a later date with links to the recipes that I used, but that is not what this post is about.

Awhile ago I posted about a project I was working on, an ottoman for the living room. I didn't want to post about it until it was fully completed and it took me awhile to paint the legs. We had a little mishap and two of the legs broke, so we had to fix those first.

 Enough of a back story... Here is how I made an ottoman out of a half pallet I got from work.

Step 1: Find a pallet the size you want your ottoman to be. Since I have a small house I chose a half pallet.


Step 2: It needs legs of course. We went to Home Depot and they had furniture leg kits. There are triangle brackets with threaded holes for the legs. The legs come already threaded with hanger bolts.


Step 3: Remove the legs and add the padding to the pallet.


Step 4: Once you have the pallet padded, you can upholster it. My dad actually helped with it because he has re-upholstered some of their furniture before.

Step 5: Put the legs back on.


Step 6: We noticed once we put the legs back on that they were a little too tall for our couch. We took them over to my dad's house and cut off a few inches to make them the right height.


Step 7: Paint the legs so that it looks complete. 


Now as you can see below, we ran into a few issues. These issues being the dogs like to jump up on the ottoman and ended up breaking two of the legs.


What happened was the hanger bolts in the legs didn't go very far in so there wasn't much in way of support. We ended up buying longer hanger bolts at Home Depot and drilling them into the legs. Once we fixed them I painted the legs and the ottoman has been good to go ever since. 

It's the perfect height and the dogs love it because now there is enough room for all of us to lay and watch TV.

This was a Pinterest inspired project and I have to say definitely worth the work. It wasn't a lot of work, I just happened to take my sweet time getting it done. So here it is finally!!






No comments:

Post a Comment