Wednesday, August 7, 2013

orzo summer salad

I know, it's been awhile. I have no excuse. Just haven't felt up to posting anything lately. Last week I was in a terrible mood for no reason, and while work has been a little trying this week; overall I'm in a much better mood. Today, not only was I in a good mood, but a very productive mood at that. Work was non-stop and I didn't stop once I got home surprisingly. Had to stop at the grocery store to get a few things for dinner (didn't get them Sunday because I wanted them to stay fresh).

Usually when I get home from work I don't want to do anything but veg out and relax with the doggies. I don't know why today was different, maybe it's because Eric had to work late and I didn't know when he would be home or maybe the "get stuff done around the house" bug hit me... Who knows! But I accomplished a lot tonight. When I got home from the grocery store I went to work making dinner (I'll get to the recipe in a bit). While making dinner I thought to myself, "I'm not cleaning up, Eric gets to since I made the whole dinner by myself," but by the time I was done that "bug" had hit me and I got to work cleaning up. First I cleaned the dishes and the kitchen, then did laundry (I even put away laundry that has been piling up on the table because I hate putting laundry away), and swept. It might not seem like much to you, but let me tell you, dinner required lots of chopping and that takes lots of time. Clearly as you can tell by the title of this post, I made an orzo salad.

So here's the recipe.




Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat orzo
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 bunches green onion
1 red onion
1 tomato
1 can chickpeas
1 12 oz bag corn
1 cup cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
6 limes juiced
3 tbsp canola oil

Boil pot of water. Add orzo and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Place in salad bowl. Chop
up all the other ingredients (red pepper, yellow pepper, tomato, onion, green onion, cilantro)
and add to bowl. Add corn and chickpeas. Then add salt, pepper, lime juice, and canola
oil. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

I call it orzo summer salad instead of Mexican orzo salad because I didn't put all the beans that were in the original recipe. Feel free to add whatever you want, I just don't like beans so that's why they are not in there. Plus, I was running out of room in my container.

As you can see, it's a simple recipe, just takes some time to chop up all the ingredients. I haven't had a whole bunch yet, just a few bites, because I am waiting for Eric to get home before I eat. Maybe that's why I kept myself busy and productive... To prevent myself from eating ALL THE FOODS! That's got to be it.

PS. I love love love whole wheat pasta. It's the best. It smells awesome when it's cooking and I think it tastes better... I could just be used to it now because it's the only kind of pasta I buy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment