Thursday, August 15, 2013

taco (mock-o) "meat"

Guess what I made last night? If you can't guess by the title, I'll just tell you; TACOS. Do you want to know the best part? They tasted (for the most part) like a regular taco BUUUUUUUT there wasn't any ground beef to be seen for miles! It was different than ground beef, but not in a bad way, or in a way that would make me prefer beef.
 
Inspired by Pure Mamas blog, I decided to make walnut taco "meat." I didn't have every spice that her recipe called for and I think I would like to make a few changes here and there to perfect the "meat," but it was pretty tasty. Mine didn't quite look as meaty as hers.
 

Here's what I did.
 
Ingredients:
2 cups raw walnuts
1/4 cup soy sauce
1.5 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper & paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
 
Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor until very small and mixed together.
 
It was good, but a little spicy. I would have liked to have onion powder but apparently I didn't have it like I thought I did. Oh well, maybe next time.
 
Then we added some roasted veggies, homemade salsa, avocado, and cilantro to top it off. Yummy!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment