Monday, June 17, 2013

father's day breakfast - dad's new favorite

My Dad shared with us that he had some amazing pancakes at Big Boy, so we thought, what better breakfast to make for him for Father's Day. He said "I didn't even have to put butter or syrup on them, and you know how I love butter." I was up to the challenge and decided to search out a comparible recipe that had all the goodies that the Big Boy pancakes had.
 
We found this recipes here to be the most comparible (grain and nut whole wheat pancakes) and made a few modifications.

Here is what we did.
 
Ingredients:
1.5 cups oatmeal (if you get the quick kind, it's chopped up so you can skip the food processor step)
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups buttermilk
1 cup milk (we used almond, as I always do)
1/4 vegetable oil (actually used canola because that is what my parents had)
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
chopped walnuts and almonds
strawberries and blueberries to top it off
 
Since we had oats that weren't whole we didn't use a food processor to blend them until they were fine. We added the oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.
 
In another bowl we combined the buttermilk, oil, egg (could use banana in place of this, I think it would make them even better to be honest), and sugar and mixed it up. We didn't use a blender like the recipe I've linked to calls for, just mixed everything up real good.
 
Then we mixed the contents of both bowls into one and added the nuts. I definitely went a little overboard with nuts in comparison to the recipe but it was perfect if you ask me. Everything got mixed together to make sure it was one consistant batter, no dry spots or anything like that.
 
Then we slapped them on the griddle and cooked away. It's not as liquid as regular pancake batter so we learned after the first few that it was best to flatten it out a bit with a spoon so that they were not too think and wouldn't cook through.
 
 

Once they are done they can be topped with the fruits of your choice. We chose strawberries and blueberries because that's what Big Boy does and dad wanted his Big Boy pancakes.
 
 
 
Everyone loved them. There were only 4 of us, but we all loved them. That doesn't happen very often. Someone always has something negative to say.
 
 
 
They are moist and tasty enough that nothing needs to be added. They would even be good without the fruit but fruit is good for you so put that shit on top.
 
I suggest you try these out this weekend. They will blow your mind. No more regular pancakes for me. I've spoiled myself.
 
The only changes I would like to make is maybe substitute the egg and buttermilk. Then they would be a lot healthier. I already substituted the milk with almond milk and as I have said banana would be an excellant substitute for the egg. Does anyone know of a good (maybe vegan) substitute for buttermilk that would keep these tasty?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment