Tuesday, July 2, 2013

for the love of technology

If it wasn't for technology Eric and I for sure would not be where we are today. We probably wouldn't even know each other. So I have to say, I am pretty grateful for technology. This post isn't going to be me going on and on about how great computers are though, so don't worry!
 
This weekend Eric and I sat down to work on organizing our lives a bit. Was it necessary? Probably not... Some may even think it a bit ridiculous. Trust me, I did at first when Eric mentioned it. I thought to myself (or maybe said out loud), we're happy, we do what we want, why mess with it? I was wrong. It's not about messing with something that's already good. It's about perfecting the good, making it better, making yourself better and I am already starting to feel the benefits after 2 - 3 days!

First off we started a calendar to keep track of both of our non-work lives. Work calendars are synced to our phones so that wasn't an issue. I wanted a calendar that was similar to Outlook because I use it daily for work and like the way it shows events. IF IT'S ON THE CALENDAR IT HAS TO HAPPEN. That's kind of the deal. We found a few calendars that looked perfect but they cost money and I wasn't about to spend money on this little "project." We ended up going with Google calendar because we have Gmail accounts and all that jazz so it was already there, for free, no cost. Score. I'm still working on getting everything on the calendar but I have the important things on there for the month. I was able to share my calendar with Eric so we just use mine and he can see it on his phone. It allows you to color code events which makes me happy.
 
Red = Eric & Melissa need to be there
Blue = Eric
Purple = Melissa
Orange = Meals
 
Meals, this leads into the second part of our organization. We're trying out meal plans. Sunday we sat down and figured out meals we want for the whole week and went grocery shopping. While we figured out what we wanted on Friday and Saturday we didn't actually buy the stuff for those days. We both have a short work week so we will just go on Friday probably. Our meal planning is a work in progress, but I added it to the calendar, and if it's on the calendar it's supposed to happen. I'd also like to make a chalkboard or whiteboard sign for the inside of the cabinet so I can write the meal plans on there. Planning on re-purposing some old baking sheets, so look out for a post on that coming soon.
 
I will have follow up posts with more details about our adventures with technology and organization, and how it's helping us. & Eric might write his first blog post (with my help because according to him he has the writing level of a second grader, which I might add, is far from the truth!) He wouldn't be in the position he is if a second grader could do his job.
 
Eric's blog post is going to be about his "30 Day Challenge." In concurrence with organizing our life, Eric decided he is going to exercise everyday. Exercise is being used loosely. To quote him, here is what his "30 Day Challenge" is: "My first 30 day challenge is to work out every day for 30 days. Everyday doesn't have to be a heavy workout, and I don't have a specific plan for each day. I will do p90x, yoga, or run. I think it will be as much of a test of discipline as a physical challenge. If I can stick to this I may try to switch to morning workouts. That would force me to get up earlier. Another test of discipline I don't have."
 
Even I am exercising, although not every day like Eric. Baby steps people, baby steps. Heather and I bought a Groupon for Yoga Shelter in West Bloomfield. It's only for 20 classes but the studio is really nice so who knows... Maybe we will buy a monthly package when we are done with our Groupon? We went Sunday and plan to go again tonight (permitting no murder via uterus occurs).
 
More to come later. I didn't want to make this blog post ridiculously long. So I'm out.
 
I'll leave you with a little look at Google Calendar.
 


1 comment:

  1. wow it looks amazing !!! great job !!!! im trying to exercise too : ) and want to try yoga love tante amy

    ReplyDelete