Tuesday, January 15, 2013

healthy strawberry banana muffins

I was feeling all healthy-like yesterday and wanted to make something with all the bananas we had sitting around before they went bad, so I got resourceful and went to Pinterest. Since as we all know I have a gazillion pins on my Pinterest, it wasn't very hard to find a recipe (or recipes) to make and since I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up stuff for dinner it all worked out and I was able to pick up a few of the ingredients that I didn't have at home.

Eric wanted a banana muffin recipe and I wanted strawberry muffins, so as usual I combined 2 recipes to make my own. I had originally planned on making 2 separate batches, but this is what I ended up with...

Ingredients:
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 bananas
2 1/2 cups of oats (the old fashioned kind)
2 eggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
strawberries (I didn't really measure, just cut up a bunch and put them in the blender)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

And then basically all you have to do is blend everything in the blender. How easy is that?!?!? Everything kind of gets stuck if you put the oats in first so I suggest putting the softer items in first and adding the oats slowly. Also, I read that since there is no flour in the recipe, you should not use paper liners. I ended up spraying my muffin tins with non-stick spray and it worked out just fine. Made a little bit more of a mess to clean up but at least there wasn't any paper chunks in my muffins!

So anyways, once everything is blended, pour the mix into the sprayed  muffin tins. I added strawberries on top as well to make them look a little nicer and to add some more strawberry flavor (too much banana is overwhelming for me). 



Then bake those bad-boys at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. 20 minutes seemed to be enough for me, the toothpick didn't have anything on it when I pulled it out. I must say, they were pretty delicious; especially right out of the oven. 

Overall - success
Appearance - not so hot
Taste - spectacular


I had 2 for breakfast this morning and they were great. I can definitely say I would make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment