Saturday, January 26, 2013

relapse of lazy

My little mini-vaca was super fun. The weather was slightly warmer in NYC than it was back in Michigan so it was very nice to get away. However, life in NYC is WAAAAAYYY different than life in Michigan and it was a little harder to get back into the swing of things; mostly cooking my own meals and being non-lazy.

The trip allowed me to relapse back into my lazy, TV watching self instead of the cooking DIY'er that I have been striving to be. Eric and I have yet to cook a meal for ourselves since being back... We returned late Tuesday night... Yeah, pretty bad. We've gone out to eat every day since our return, but I promise to find some sweet recipes or think of some good dinners to make this week for the blog.

I did work a bit today on one of my DIY projects so that post is coming soon; as soon as I get it hung up and can take an "after" photo. I promise it will be soon. I will try to bug Eric into hanging it for me tomorrow. 

With that being said, I would like to share about our trip and what we did while in New York. The city is amazing and crazy and an all around different life for us. We are both self proclaimed "non-people people," so we were both pretty excited to get back home to our "kids" (2 dogs & a cat), but we had a blast while we were there.

Eric's trip started a bit earlier than mine seeing as the real reason for the trip was work. He left last Thursday and then I followed Friday evening. I didn't get to the hotel until late, like 10:30PM so we literally went right to bed, no joke. We're such old people...

Saturday was beautiful. It was almost 50 degrees out and Eric only had to work for like an hour. After that we walked up to Central Park and went to the American Museum of Natural History. We're both pretty big nerds so we spent a big portion of our day there.The dinosaurs were pretty cool.


I really wanted to go to Central Park Zoo and we planned to go Saturday, but since we took so much time at the museum we ended up going Sunday. It was still nice out, though not as nice as it was Saturday. The Central Park Zoo is not a huge zoo, it's actually much smaller than the one we have here in Detroit, but it was still awesome. I can't even say what my favorite animal was because there were so many adorable ones. There was the red pandas, peacocks, polar bear, sea lions, and so many more... This picture here is probably one of my favorites from the zoo though. It's a picture of a mongoose; and it reminds me of our dog Chevy. She tends to be in her own little world, ALL THE TIME... and well this little guy was as well. As you can see, he was admiring the lovely scenery (aka staring at the wall), which is something Chevy would definitely be doing.



After the zoo we went to a little bar in Hell's Kitchen called American Retro and they had this lovely concoction of a food, TOT-ACHOS, which are tater tot nachos. No words can even describe how delicious they were, but here is a photo in case you want to imagine for yourself. 


We also went to the Intrepid Air and Space Museum on Sunday. Yes, crazy. Our day was jam packed, but there was so much we wanted to do and we only had 4 days. It was a cool experience, as the USS Intrepid is a retired US aircraft carrier and it had tons of stuff to see and look at. There was also a submarine, the USS Growler, at the museum. The aircraft carrier was huge! There was even a space shuttle on board. Unfortunately, the space shuttle part does not open until Spring 2013 but at least I got to see it from afar.


After all that on Sunday we were beat. We went to bed super early and somewhat took it easy on Monday. Monday involved a pretty cool little exhibit at Discovery Time Square. It had 2 to choose from and we chose this Spy exhibit. It showed you all sorts of neat little gadgets that real life spies used. Being the history nerds that we are, we enjoyed it. Then we walked down to Macy's and the Empire State building. Macy's was crazy, as should be expected. All the walking was definitely hard, we walked back up to the hotel via 5th Avenue to see all the sweet shops. I unfortunately chose to not shop at any of them, my suitcase was already overflowing before I got to NYC so... 

Tuesday was our last day and we made sure to fill it up with as much as possible too! First we went to the 9/11 Memorial. It was freezing but even though it was cold and windy (and the wind blew the water from the waterfalls at us) it was worth it. I had been there in high school when it was literally a hole in the ground and to see the transformation was very touching to say the least. The memorial actually has all the names of the people that lost their lives in the 9/11 attacks and the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. All I have to say, if you ever find yourself in New York and don't do anything else, you for sure need to go to the World Trade Center Memorial. Below is the new tower that they are building.


Tuesday also involved the World Financial Museum (or something like that). Eric was totally into it, he loves his stocks... Here he is with the bull. 


So that was our trip. Sorry for the long blog post. I tried to keep it short and sweet, but there was so much I wanted to talk about. If you're my friend on Facebook you can see all the photos from our adventure there. We had delicious food at every place we ate at, which could be due to the fact that we researched every place we thought about going before we actually went... The trip was awesome and I can't wait for our next trip. Hopefully tomorrow I will be posting about the little project I worked on today and will start getting back into the swing of things at home. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment